Saturday, February 2, 2013

Composting!

Today is my 27th birthday and it was all about compost! What? I know it is weird, but it is the best birthday I could have asked for!

My dad got me a Simple Human stainless steel kitchen compost bucket. It has carbon filters so it doesn't smell. Very nice pail!

John got me a set of compost bin brackets. They are powder coated steel brackets from Lee Valley Tools. You just screw in wood slats and voila! Compost bin!

My sweet mother in law sent me birthday cash which provided the lumber for the compost bin and a few chicken accessories. More on that later!

We started the day by going to Home Depot and picking up cedar 1x6x12s. Our local lumber yard was closed on Saturdays, so we were subjected to HD. I picked a sweet older guy to saw the lumber for us and he did a very precise job!

We then headed out to the farm and John got to work putting the compost bin together. Paisley handed him screws one by one and gave him hugs before wandering off to entertain herself.

The finished bin looks great! I was just looking for function and had found plans for a shipping pallet bin. John was a bit particular about how it would look, so this was a great find! The brackets and wood cost about the same as building one from solid wood, but only took an hour to build instead of a day! The middle three slats on the front side are not screwed in for ease of access and turning. We plan to get two more compost bins going in the future, but we really only need one right now until it fills up!

We (royal we) carried the bin to the garden area and then headed home for lunch and nap time.

After Paisley's nap, we went back out to the farm and John moved two of my five garden beds. So, instead of 5 short beds, I have 3 long beds. The third bed probably isn't usable this sprig as it was the 'leftover' bed. Anything left over from making other beds got tossed on that pile. It was also used as a tossing pile for various other stuff while we existed without a compost bin. So, it has lots of grass and leaves that haven't broken down yet. Maybe I will just toss my leftover seeds in it this spring and see if anything comes up!

The two beds to the left had to be moved to make room for the future chicken coop!


























2 comments:

  1. Haybaler was having way too much fun running the tractor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if John lost one of the screws it's stuck to the bottom of Paisley's foot (in one of the pictures). :-)

    ReplyDelete