Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cabinets and countertops

Well, we finally hit a snag in the building process. It was about time!

Our cabinets were delivered January 11th. We went to install them and one set (upper and lower) were way too wide and sticking out past the doorway. In the picture, we have it all the way to the corner, but there should be a void there so that the adjoining cabinet can butt up against it to make a corner under the soffit corner. We sent them back to be rebuilt. When they were re delivered TWO weeks later, we went to set the island and realize that it was too close to the fridge. The carpenter, cabinet designer, and I all struggled with the fit issue for an entire day. I didn't feel like we were making progress, so I called in the sales manager. He came out, asked what would make me happy, and promised two new cabinets in 6 working days.

I was so happy with the way he resolved the issue. My sales lady was really disappointing. She tried to blame the fit issue on me (the sink I picked was too large and she couldn't make the island smaller to make more space around it), then on the carpenter (accused him of moving a wall since she had last come out to measure), then commented that *other* people wouldn't mind having to stand off to the side to open the freezer drawer. This mistake was clearly hers. She measured incorrectly, or not at all, and the two parallel work spaces were both about 4" off. Her solution to the fit issue around the fridge was to move the island so that it was out of line with the other wall cabinets. I was not happy with that solution. So, we moved the island and added 9 1/8" to the wall cabinets behind it.

Every time my cabinets were wrong, it pushed back my granite template date. It takes 2 weeks after template to get an installation. Sinks can't go in until counters are in. Neither can faucets. Can't do backsplash, mirrors or bathroom lights. Can't finish floors or add carpet until all of those bigger, dirty jobs are done. So, basically everything is hinged on my cabinets being done on time.

So, the sales manager, carpenter, and granite template guy all met me out at the house. John took a half day at work and wrangled Paisley. We hashed it out and the template guy got his measurement and added 9 1/8" to the length. The cabinets HAD to be perfect or the granite wouldn't fit.

Luckily, the cabinets were delivered Tuesday morning, installed at 5am Wednesday, granite was installed at 10am Wednesday, and we have been making up ground in all areas! Backsplash got finished in the kitchen and started in the bathrooms. Everything fits great and looks beautiful!

I should mention that the bathroom cabinets were flawless from the start.

We went with hickory cabinets in the bathrooms to tie in with the hickory floors in the rest of the house. The backsplash in there is a 2" tile to match the floor tiles. Te kitchen cabinets are white shaker panels with seedy glass doors on the uppers. The cabinets with glass fronts are painted a teal blue green. Between the oven and fridge is a set of book shelves, which I LOVE. I am so excited to be able to display my cook books. Especially those that I got from my grandpa after he passed. Another neat feature is the pop up mixer stand. I just hate having to rearrange cabinets to get the thing out and onto the counter. It weighs as much as a bag of grain. Lets pretend that I didn't just use livestock feed as a unit of measure, ok? Also, we went with an enormous sink. It's like 33x22 or something insane like that. In keeping with the theme, it would fit two 5 gallon buckets side by side. It is a single basin sink. I never have to tilt a cookie sheet and wash it from every angle ever again!

An odd piece of information, after much arguing, we decided to go with mixed metals in the house. John wanted everything to match, I thought brushed nickel would look dated. He worried about the stainless sink and appliances. We did some googling and apparently, 2013 is the year of mixed metals! Yay! So, we have oil rubbed bronze lights, bathroom trim, hardware, etc. while the sink, kitchen faucet, and appliances are stainless. It lends a very modern feel and at the same time is warm and rustic.

Basically, we can't wait to move in. We go out every evening to lock up and look around. It is getting harder and harder to leave. The schedule is really wrapping up.
Tomorrow-backsplash, electrical, and drywall repair
Monday- glass and mirrors
Tuesday-plumbing, electrical, wood stove
Wed-Fri- carpet and wood finishing
Mon & tue- trim and touch up paint
Wed- inspections and move in!!!!!

I hope it all goes as planned! Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

























1 comment:

  1. Amazing work. I have watched you mature and gain self confidence through the process of building the house.

    ReplyDelete